Mason Jar Organizers

by postroad on January 11, 2010

DIY… kitchen organizers!!

Some people are born organized and then others are others… I have to WORK at it daily or otherwise my house looks like.. well I won’t go into TOO much detail but you get my point. Put it this way.. I love when its neat and organized but there’s a WHOLE lot of things I love doing more! So I decided to devote this Monday to getting ORGANIZED.

My kitchen has slowly been turning into a DISASTER! Cupboards overflowing, and crowded counter space. This idea came to me this morning as I was gazing at my collection of blue mason jars above my counters and the mess underneath. Why not corral some of that mess in those pretty jars and get the junk off of my counter tops!? I could think of so many other places in my house I could use these too! Office, craft room, laundry room…. so sounds like I better start hunting for more jars :)

Materials: Jars with Lids, power screw gun, metal drill bit, 3/4″ screws (must be shorter than wood you’re drill to), tape measure, and cupboard or shelf to affix to bottom.

I used pint and quart size antique jars; use whatever size and style works for you.
If you want the blue mason jars Etsy is a great place to find them.
Just make sure your lids fit snuggly.
Wash and dry.

Collect the rest of your materials. Find a good work surface. If you’re like me.. and your kitchen table is your work bench please find a scrap piece of wood so you don’t drill right through it. (hubby LOVES when this happens!)
Another tip: if you’re not handy (YET!) with the power tools and you’re trying to convince the DH or other to help you.. It helps to pull everything out.. look real clueless and ask him, “is this how it’s done?” He’ll probably JUMP to your rescue :)
Drill a hole in the center of each lid.
Measure and mark on your cupboard where you will be drilling the covers to.
*update* one of my brilliant readers figured out that if you drill TWO
holes in each lid and screw in at two seperate places the lid won’t spin!! Which is awesome because
then you don’t need two hands to unscrew the jar!

Fill those jars! Whatever you think is handy for you.. you can always change on the fly.
Remember that for some things.. oils etc.. it is best not to keep these near heat.
I didn’t worry about it too much though as it is still an improvement over my last system!

FINISHED PRODUCT!
(plus flopped bread to boot)

noralynnanderson January 12, 2010 at 3:08 am

Wow, that's so sweet! I love it! I've always wanted to make a cute cupboard to store all my ingredients in mason jars. This idea would be faster, and take up less space.
Thanks for the sweet post! My goal is getting organized too, (flylady) can't wait to see what you'll come up with for next week!

vintage girl at heart January 12, 2010 at 2:01 pm

This is fabulous…. I have tons of mason jars.. I need to get busy and try this out in my craft room!

Polly January 14, 2010 at 2:48 am

I love this idea! It reminds me so much of my dad. When I was a kid, he had jars attached just like this to a shelf above his workbench. He stored all of his nails, bolts, etc… in those jars! I love your take on it!

Polly

Sarah @ threeboys-home.blogspot.com September 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm

HA! I LOVE that idea! I just finished cleaning out my spice rack and am less then pleased with its disorder. Adding my frequently used spices to a system like this might just do the trick! Thanks!!!
Sarah
threeboys-home@blogspot.com

Ren November 19, 2010 at 1:18 pm

You've made my mental wheels spin!

Basco December 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love this look. I’ve got my jars and lids already to go, but I have a question. Did you attach the ring to the flat part of the lid? or does it still spin freely? I keep thinking that if its not secured to the flat part of the lid that you’d have to use 2 hands to get the jar down. one to hold the ring in place, and one to twist the jar.

Thanks!

catherine January 6, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I would be interested in hearing the answer to this ring part of the lid question…

Cindy January 19, 2012 at 3:11 am

Hi Heather… I was wondering if you ended up using this method for your spices? Small jelly jars could be used and it would be neat and tidy.

Teddee Grace January 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Are you just making a hole in the jar lid flats? What happens to the rings? I’d love to see under the cabinet. Teddee

Olga@StardustDecorStyle January 23, 2012 at 10:44 pm

So brilliant! Heather you’re so creative! Found you through Houzz!
By the way, congrats!