DIY Handmade Clay Tags – Ornaments

by postroad on November 3, 2010

I’ve been knee deep in homemade clay making these gift tags
and ornaments-
 Here’s How!!
Supplies-
2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
3/4 cup hot water
cookie cutter
paint
custom stamp set
All right??
Ready for this?
So easy, my pre-schoolers make them!
and no they didn’t make these ones
though it may look like it ;) LOL
First knead your flour, salt, and hot water
until somewhat smooth and elastic
(1-2 min)
Second roll out.
I did mine around 1/4″.
Third- paint.
Fourth;
stamp!
Fifth-
enjoy!!
There is crusty flour stuck to all corners
of my kitchen currently
(thanks to all my helpers!)
But so worth it!!
What would you use these for?

Suzanne@Meridian Road November 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

How cool~it'll be like getting a gift with a gift.

Heather from Post Road Vintage November 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Just what I was thinking- which is why I've started to include one in packages from the shop :)

Tami November 4, 2010 at 1:21 am

Cool!!! I think we may seriously make these next week. It's supposed to be dreary, rainy again. I'm thinking of going on a nature walk to look for some limbs and then let the kids color/paint the clay however they desire and turning it all into a mobile for the corner in their school/book area. :-)

Heather from Post Road Vintage November 4, 2010 at 1:26 am

That sounds awesome Tami! I love the projects that I can work on right alongside the kiddos :)

Lolo November 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm

How fun! Ive always liked the no-bake recipes the best ;)

Heather from Post Road Vintage November 4, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Come to think of it the original recipe said you could dry them in the oven at a low heat. I just decided to make it one less step :)

Beatle Sue November 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Hey, just wanted to let you know that one of your mason jar soap dispensers is featured on Etsy's homepage right now! :)

Heather from Post Road Vintage November 4, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up Beatle Sue!
I'm humbled that I could make the FP :)

Sandie {A Bloggable Life} November 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I love homemade gift tags & gift wrapping :) Can't wait to try these—bookmarked!

rebekah November 18, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I found your blog via craftgawker and this post started a HUGE rabbit trail yesterday. I needed something a little "glossier" for an ornament project and this post gave me the idea for that. Thanks for the inspiration!

Charlotte September 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi there, I tried to make these today. I am sending my sister and my boyfriend who are both at university some homemade cookies and wanted to put them in a box and gift tag them with one of these gorgeous ceramic ones!

HOWEVER, they would not solidify!! They just stayed like soft dough! What’s the secret?? I felt like I had to bake them maybe, but I know this is a no-bake recipe!

Thanks,
Charlotte xx

GEN November 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Minw keep coming out looking yellowish. How did you get yours to stay so white?

Heather November 24, 2011 at 5:22 am

I painted them :)

Cat February 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Hello, We made these and they are taking a really long time to dry. Is there a baking time and temp for these? Thanks much for any help!

Fishtail Cottage January 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm

thank you so much for the tutorial….just wanted to check to see if you had to cook them after? or just leave them set to dry on a counter? look forward to hearing back from you…(if you can email me that would be awesome at tracie.fish@live.com) we want to make these for valentines day this evening…xoox, tracie