DIY – Homemade Organic Foaming Soap Recipes

by postroad on January 18, 2011

Hi friends! Here’s my kinda recipes– foaming soap! Hard on dishes, soft on your hands!
What better way to fill your Post Road Pump then with an organic homemade foaming soap?
Let’s rip!
Foaming Hand Soap
You will need:
7 oz foaming soap dispenser
(I sell the lid and pump only to attach to your
mason jar- see here)
Water to Fill
Directions:
Mix all in Foaming Dispenser.
(Double if you’re using my Quart Size foamer- a single batch is
perfect for a pint sized jar)
Yeehaw! Finally a recipe I can follow and not botch! Yes.. being in the kitchen is not my forte! But at least my hands will be clean.. in style ;)
The following dish soap recipe was actually not intended for a foamer but I found it to work great! Dr. Bronner’s Soap doesn’t make soap suds so a foamer is the perfect fix for this. I didn’t dilute the recipe quite as much as you would to turn regular liquid soap into foaming soap but I found this works great for cutting the grease! This soap is awesome because it won’t dry out your hands like so many others will.
Get your dirty dishes out.. get your sleeves rolled up.. here goes…
Foaming Dish Soap
You will need:
4 Drops Basic H
Water to fill
Directions:
Mix thoroughly
Dr. Bronner’s comes in a wide variety of scents so you can make your soap smell as you please! I buy the unscented and add my own essential oils. Lemon for the dish soap, eucalyptus in the downstairs bath, lavender in the upstairs.. it is fun to experiment with different scents and combinations! Also Dr. Bronner’s is known to clog up foamers but I am happy to say that I’ve been using the pump available in tmy shop for a really long time and am still happy with the results!
I actually omit the Basic H in this recipe. From what I can tell it acts as an anti-bacterial agent and I’m not a germ freak. It washes my dishes just fine.. even if we are building a few extra immunities here on Post Road ;)
Feel free to join me in the comments section with any questions you may have!

dianie January 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I bought one of your foamer dispenser tops…does any soap work in that? I am looking forward to getting it.

Heather from Post Road Vintage January 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thanks so much for the purchase :) Yes.. any soap will do! Just put 1-3 TBsp for about 7 ounces (pint jar) and fill the rest with water- shake up good before use. If you have a quart jar double this. Hope that helps!

Lauren @ Crafty in the Concrete Jungle January 25, 2011 at 11:04 pm

i LOVE Thieves already and can't wait to make this homemade foaming soap… i'll be ordering one of your ball soap jars to go with it :) Thanks for posting this!!

Diane November 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Can’t wait to try the soap recipe. I love these soap jars!

Jeanine April 24, 2012 at 3:33 am

I love your blog! I receive you post via email, & your e-magazine is so beautiful, I wish it was a magazine I received in my mailbox at my house! I want to buy one of you foaming soap jars very soon, I know the foaming pump comes in the white plastic, is it available in stainless steel? The recipes on this post sound great, I know I’ll need to use it once I get one of your jars, because I’m a Dawn user. ;)

Rose Petal November 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I just found your site today and love your mason jar soap dispenser idea! So creative! And practical.

I wanted to make a note about your comment above about Basic H. We’ve used it for years and just wanted to clarify that it is NOT antibacterial. Shaklee has a product called Basic G which IS a germicide, but Basic H is simply an all-natural wetting agent and gentle enough to use directly on skin as an insect repelent or a “mask” when painting so paint spots will wash right off when you’re done. It does kill small insects because it smothers them, but is completely non-toxic. I use a few squirts in laundry because it greatly reduces the amount of detergent needed, as it’s wetting capacity makes the fabric much more absorbtive and it softens the water, making the detergent stretch. In your recipe four drops would add suds and make it possible to use even less soap but get similar results.

And in case you’re wondering, I do NOT sell Shaklee. :) I just wanted to clear up what may have been a misunderstanding. Now I’m off to check out more about your pumps!