Rustic Paint Love {Farm Table}

by postroad on May 20, 2011

Farm Table Top

Hello friends!! How are you? Today I’ll be sharing a secret with you! OOOh-lala.. How I painted my rustic farm table.

This was definetely my favorite project eve-ah!! If you’re new.. read more about my farm table HERE.

Painting of a Farm Table

Actually there were a couple secret weapons I used on this beast that I want to share with you.

WIERD WEAPON #1 is = Steel wool + vinegar! Trust me this is the best way to make new lumber look old!

And Annie Sloan paint.. this is the first time I’ve tried the stuff (Thanks Miss Mustard Seed for turning me on to it!) and honestly I don’t know if I’ll go back to Latex! This is JUST the finish I love my projects to have! (I am working on re-designing all the coat racks in the shop with this awesome paint!)

OK enough ranting. Let’s get down to business, shall we?

1. Rest that steel wool in a cup of vinegar for 24 hours.

2. Apply to wood with a rag like you would stain.

3. One coat of Louis Blue.

4. Dry brush coat of Chateau Grey.

5. OH! Almost forgot the top! One (dry brush) coat of old white.

6. Sand her good.

7. Clear coat of wax followed by dark on the edges.

8. Let dry for approx. 24 hours.

9. Buff with a rag.

10. OOOH and AAAAH that she actually turned out and then throw a big dinner party in her honor.

(admittedly only did half of the last step so far)

OK! I’ve kept you long enough! Your paintbrush is probably drying up by now.. and I know you’re dieing to try this! hehe.

Have an awesome weekend please! Leave me your questions down below!

Thanks!

Heather

Junker Newbie Stephanie May 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Love this! Great job! My first order of chalk paint arrived last week and I am dying to get started with it this weekend :-)

Inspire Me Heather May 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Oh I know this paint is so popular right now – just gotta get me some!!! Your table looks fantastic too and I’ll keep your “weird weapon” in mind!

Kelly May 20, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Wow! Your table looks wonderful! I love your blog! I will have to try to find that paint for some of my projects!
Keep the good ideas coming!
Peace and blessings.
Kelly

Jill May 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Beautiful table! I’ll have to try that vinegar trick. I’m dying to get some of that paint too!

Sandi May 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Thank You for the tips. Your table is awesome. I need to get me some of this paint!

Annie Sloan May 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Lovely piece – thank you so much! – just to tell you that normally I wax before I sand – not so dusty!
xx
Annie

Annie Sloan May 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Also I posted it om my Facebook Annie Sloan Paint Page!
A

Cheryl ~ Casual Cottage Chic May 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Gotta try that vinegar method to age some wood. Txs!! Did you know you can order Annie Sloan paints/waxes online? Check Annie’s website for a list of USA stockists. Once you use this paint and waxes you won’t use any other for your painted treasures!!!

vicki May 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Annie SLoan Chalk Paint does truly rock! For all you wanting to try, go to http://www.chalkpaintnorthamerica.com and find your nearest stockist. For anyone in CA – Bakersfield north – look me up. We ship constantly!! This paint is taking the USA by storm…and you won’t find a negative word about it anywhere!! PS – Love your blog, and I am a new follower. You are so creative, witty and fun!

Cindy Thomas October 18, 2011 at 3:48 am

Thanks for sharing this info ~ I LOVE your table and want to try to re-create the same look on a feature wall in my bedroom. You are so talented and I appreciate that you share it with the rest of us! You INSPIRE me!

Marleen January 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Your table looks great! Can I ask how you did the dark on the edges?