My Home – Part 2 {WHY}

by postroad on March 26, 2012

This is a blog series on my home. The inspiration and journey. Today I’m talking about {why} I decorate. (If you missed part 1 catch it HERE.)

(my living room)

Why do you decorate? It’s a funny question really. I’d say most of us who love it may have never considered “why.” It’s just sorta in us. Being from a big family and growing up around big families I heard a lot of people say, “why bother?” And I’ll admit. It CAN be frustrating at times. You find the perfect antique frame and the kids figure out a way to knock it off the wall and bust it. (It’s ALWAYS an ‘accident’, right?!) But growing up my Mom was never the type to say, “why bother”. And she definitely let us just “be kids.”

(my bathroom)

Obviously it probably would have been easier to have NOTHING pretty in the house. No projects or decorations for 14 rowdy children to bust into and “accidentally” break. But she wasn’t like that. She took it with a grain of salt knowing that the inside of our home’s appearance wasn’t THE most important thing but taking care of it and fixing it up made her happy.

(my dining room)

And in the end isn’t that enough?

(where I work)

I am un-phased in the least (ok, maybe not the LEAST) when my home is slightly sailing… as long as I have a pretty corner I am working on… fixing up. Decorating. Making cozy and homey. I can be burning supper, laundry piled way too high, and way too many iron’s in the fire… but if I’m working on a project for my home all feels well. I suppose it can be like that regardless what your passion is and mine just happens to be my home.

(don’t you dare get between me and my paintbrush!)

So phooey on the excuse to not make a pretty space in your home. If it is something you LOVE to do, what are you waiting for? Quit comparing yourself to others and just go with what makes YOU happy. Seriously, some day you will thank me for it! ;) LOL

Read part 3 here- inspiration…. Where to find it and how to make it your own.

Nana Diana March 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Heather-Your home is beautiful. It is just pretty and fresh looking. Your Mom was a wise woman. I can remember stressing over something the kids would mess up that I had just finished when they were young. You’re smart at a much younger age than me! xo Diana

Heather March 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Aww, thanks.. but I’m not so sure about that! You should see all the times I’ve stepped in it.. we don’t need to go THERE now, do we? ;) LOL

Thanks for stopping in Diana :)

Dawn March 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Love your place. Doing over our kitchen now…in swiss coffee. Love that paint!!! Looking forward to the new countertops…then I can begin to get my stuff placed where it makes me happy.
We always had prims while the kids were growing up. An extra ding was not a big deal…added to the charm. :D

Debbie Goode March 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I have always and will always decorate my home. Even now, that we live in our fifth wheel full time, I still decorate. It takes a little more effort when we “break camp”‘ but it is worth it to me. The first thing most folks say when they enter is, ” it feels like a home….warm and inviting”, and that makes me happy!

Jill Flory March 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Oh I SO agree! If it makes you happy that is reason enough!!! And if you want your house decorated but it isn’t your thing then there is nothing wrong with paying someone to do it:) :)

Jill Flory March 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

oh and by the way – I LOVE your house! It’s so fun seeing it:)

Laurel Stephens March 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm

My mother startled the heck out of my brothers and me when she burst into tears after my little brother knocked a precious Ming bowl off her hutch by accident years and years ago. I decided then and there that I never wanted anything in my home that would make my kids feel badly if it was broken by accident. Things are just things, after all. I love to decorate, too, and have found, as you have, that sometimes it’s the doing of it that matters, and a pretty corner will suffice for the time being. I love your philosophy.

Rebecca March 26, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Beautiful! You have done a wonderful job making your home pretty. I decorate because it makes me feel good to have a nice home. I believe happiness is contagions and if I am happy I can make a happy home for my family. I also have an addiction to finding a great deal and making something beautiful and unique with it.

Melinda March 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Hi Heather,
I completely agree with you. I’ve never really thought about why I decorate either, I guess just because it makes me happy, truly!~ Even with 2 little boys running around and sometimes breaking things, I don’t really mind. Its just an excuse for me to go out and find something even more fabulous! :)
Your home is gorgeous by the way!
Have a lovely week.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Helen B. March 27, 2012 at 1:50 am

Heather, you are truly an inspiring person and have a natural talent like your mom does. I admire the way you take simple things, old things and create something beautiful. It is wonderful when we can pull things together and make our house a home and that is why we decorate. Keep up the good work, I love your photography!

karlin March 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love your philosophy for both bringing up kids and decorating. That little chair on the wall is divine and I love your crackle paint vanity. And the Workshop…….who wouldn’t love that.

Heather March 28, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Oh, how lovely is your home!! It truly is inspiring and stunning! xo Heather

Marti Elkins March 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I am so inspired by this post. I have always decorated how I thought I was supposed to and my home was never unique. It was never my own perfect expression. We have just purchased and new home and I am trying the English/French Country eclectic vintage angle, but putting my own twist on it. Look forward to reading more of your blog. Michelle at Vintage Junky introduced me to it.:)

yazid May 21, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hello,bonjour

Très belle maison,un petit message de France

Joyce Huntsman June 12, 2012 at 12:04 am

Heather your house is darling. I’m sorry I haven’t answered your emails but I am getting them and enjoy reading them. My life has been a little scrood up lately. But hopefully it will get back to normal. Keep up the good work your posts are fun to read. They make me smile……. Joyce Huntsman