Let the PAINTING Roll….

by postroad on May 22, 2012

Good day to you! How are things?? It’s been crazy between getting ready for the Farm Chicks Show, camping with the fam, working on my summer line, and squeezing every lil’ drop outta life that I can manage! :)

What have you been up to?

Today I’m sharing my FAVORITE painting technique (ok, well one of them that is!) A lot of times I am painting new pieces designed by moi and it can be tricky to make that sparkly new lumber look old. It is a challenge but SUPER fun! Though I LOVE working with old pieces I think I like the challenge of starting from scratch even more.

So HOW to make new lumber look authentically old??

Let her ROOLLLLL…..

What do you think? Would you try this? And I’d love to hear your feedback on the video… hubby says the tunes are cheesy but I am rather inclined to think they blend well with my personality.. hardy-har-har.

Truly though… since I am planning to make weekly videos a staple on yee ole blog I’d love to hear your honest opinions on how I can make them EVEN BETTER and what you’d like to learn about + see.

Thanks so much!! Have a cheery-oh Post Road day! I am off to the garden with my swampers on as we speak! :)

One stool still available in the shop using this technique… check ‘er out here.

I’m working on switching my shop over to a new host right now.. if things aren’t working properly I am SO sorry about that. Thank goodness for my tech guy.. I could seriously rip the hair out of my head just looking at all those funny lines of numbers and characters…. If you are wanting something and having difficulty please email me heather(at)postroadvintage.com

Amber May 22, 2012 at 2:40 pm

LOVED the video! Note to hubby: the music isn’t cheesy! :)

Kathy Aho in MInnesota May 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Please fill in more info either by talking or by readable subtitles. (Wording script goes by real fast on screen) Perhaps an explanation of HOW or WHY the vinegar and steel wool mix works? Does it add texture? Underlying rust? Prep the wood in some way to hold the paint on the new wood? Did you paint the entire object with the mixture or just the new pieces? It looks like the whole thing got the chalk paint layer but did the old rustic salvage sections also get the vinegar and steel wool mix? I love the look and thanks for sharing with us! I am pinning it so others will come see it too.

Heather May 22, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks SO much for the feedback Kathy!! I REALLY appreciate it! Everything you’re saying makes total sense. I originally was talking a lot more but it felt like it was dragging on and on and on and (you get my point). I need to learn how to be more clear/concise. Love all of your ideas!

As for the questions… the other two boards are original. And you’re right about the rust. That is what ‘stains’ the board. I only did the chalk paint where I also did the vinegar (the brackets). Hmm.. I like the vintage look but maybe not so practical on the how-to’s where it is probably more important to see what I’m doing. Anyways, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to comment and I will def. be putting your feedback to good use :)

Holly May 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Kathy had good advice!! Love that you’re sharing your secrets! Don’t know if it’s my comp., but the audio for the music is much louder than the voice audio.
Can’t wait to meet you at Farm Chicks!!

Jean May 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Heather, thanks so much for this video. I have a toolbox someone made out of new lumber and it needs something. I think I’ll give this a try! Music was louder on the music part and quieter during the speaking part, but otherwise, loved it. Your blog is so pretty! xoxo Jean

Judy May 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

I don’t understand about wax. What does it do? How do you apply it?

Barbara May 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm

How long does the chalk paint need to dry before rubbing on the wax. I’ve never used chalk paint.

Heather May 24, 2012 at 1:34 am

Such a great tutorial Heather!! Thank you for sharing!! Love the idea of putting different pieces together to create such a beautiful and unique piece!! xo Heather

Barbara May 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I thought it was great, although I agree with the other commenters about the music (I liked the choice, but lower the volume) and about more instruction as you go. I did think the “101″ was a tiny bit cheesy! It is a 101, but I think just to call it a tutorial is fine. Any time I appear on video, even with family, I feel so awkward talking, but I think those of us who are fans like to watch, not just to see how to do something, but to see the blogger we like so much!! :)

Ironically, I have a jar of this lovely solution sitting on MY counter with my husband asking me what it is and what my plan is for it! I had seen it on another blog (no reason not to have it on yours as well, especially since it is what you do to age your wood pieces), but hadn’t tried it yet. Now I’m inspired to try it today! I did wonder if you let it dry before painting?

Barbara May 24, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Sorry to double comment! I forgot to say that it’s a little dark, we would love to see more of you!

Kate May 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for the video Heather! I will have to use this technique sometime. I knew nothing about steel wook and vinegar, so I can’t wait to try it. Will let you know how it works!

And love your new office! What a beautiful spot to work. And I am sure your assistants like it also. The extra bonus is that you don’t have to worry about all those freezies and popsicles they will be consuming, leaving little stains on your flooring like I do. Have a beautiful Memorial Day weekend!
Kate
PS- I put window boxes on my chicken coop to dress it up. Pre-window boxes, I just hung metal brackets and had flowering plants hanging off them, hanging baskets made all the difference in the world. And I planted flowers around the doors that my chickens didn’t like to eat, that helped a bit too. Your coop looked pretty good to me though!