Can Pictures Talk?

by postroad on May 9, 2012

Hi peeps! Thanks SO much for your support, love, and sharing of the new calendar!

Holy moly! Love you guys!! It also spurred a bunch of photography questions so ‘just for fun’ I though we’d dive into that a ‘lil.

*disclaimer* I am NO photography expert. Seriously, I still don’t know what half of that jargon means. I should be taking a class myself. (not writing this!) But since you asked…

I feel like there is already TONS of info out there on camera settings etc… I thought I would focus on how to take a picture that tells a story….

When I shoot something I want the picture to embody the actual item. I want it natural, fuss free, and far from perfect. (my style). To make a picture more interesting never center your object in the frame. I LOVE pictures that draw the eye to all edges. This doesn’t mean you have to chuck if full of stuff either. Maybe the light is dancing on one corner.. stretching and reaching for the object on the opposite corner. Maybe there is something included in the photo that you may not notice at first glance.. but the picture itself makes you pause and pay attention.

Don’t be afraid to get down and dirty. You don’t have to give me this advice twice! I lay in the dirt outside to get a lot of my outdoor shots. Take these chickens for example…. If I stand at my height and shoot it is quite blah-zah. But WAIT! If I lay in the dirt I get this beautiful light that shines through them. See their feather’s shine? Ok, and then I need to crop the picture. This photo is obviously super candid. They are worse then the kids at taking directions.. (LOL) So let’s make it look like we had to ‘hurry up and snap’. Ooops, cut off a couple heads but that is ok… see the story she is telling?

I really think this applies to anything you’re shooting. People, objects, rooms, etc…

I have been having lots of fun taking pictures on instagram lately too.. (follow my handle if you’d like- postroadvintage)

So you really don’t NEED a schmancy camera to take a picture that tells a story.

If I was to give advice (oops, I guess I sort of am!) then the two most important things are, practice and light! Find the spot in your home (or out) where you can turn your flash off and there aren’t crazy shadow or dark edges. Just start playing around with different angles and adding in what you love… Stage it in an ‘un-staged’ way.. hmmm, does that make sense? I’m thinking not! :)

p.s. most of these pictures are included in my new PRINTABLE BIRTHDAY CALENDAR! If you’d like to snag your copy you can find it here for the rest of this week for the $3 dollar deal!

Cindy Silverstein May 9, 2012 at 3:35 am

Heather, I think I also need all the cool stuff you have around your house in my photos. The settings are gorgeous. You have an Artist’s eye for framing your pictures. I also like the soft, kind of hazy look you get. Do you tweak any of your photos in photoshop? I enjoy that part of the process, myself, and consider it part of my artistic process. Your photos are so beautiful, I want to live in them.

Heather May 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Cindy,

Thanks so much :) No, I usually don’t edit my photos mostly because I am too lazy. I do use Picasa (the download version) to add my watermark and change size or crop if I need to. Once in a while I will sharpen or warm it up a tad but usually nothing. When I first started PRV I used picnik to brighten my photos but they have since gone.. I do believe there is a replacement, pic monkey maybe?

I do plan to invest the time and $ on photoshop one of these days but just haven’t gotten around to it. I think the haziness comes from the light falling in the right spots so you really just need to play around a bit to find what works for you / your camera :) Hope that helps!!

Lori May 9, 2012 at 11:22 am

Heather girl you totally have a talent for taking pictures!! They are always so very beautiful!!

SueBee May 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

Thank you Heather!! I’m trying to learn and you have inspired me. I don’t like things to be complicated…
Hope you are enjoying your day!

Malou May 9, 2012 at 11:50 am

Heather
You have a frame in the eye…so to speak! and I guess your humility and candid approach to life make your photos even more charming. It’s fresh, natural and you are simply an artist. I am finding so many women out there that finally have a way of exposing their waiting-t0-be-discovered talents.
To all us women…well done! :-}

Roberta May 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Love your pictures, blog set up, newsletter and writing style Heather! You are a born Natural! :) xoRoberta

steph May 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm

You’ve definitely got the “eye” for a great shot!!!! Find myself often just browsing your pictures—and skipping the text……(sorry, probably shouldn’t admit to that! although I go back to the text eventually!!!!!) But the pictures are always “grabbers”!

Jeanette Van Wicklen May 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I featured your cute soap dispensers on my blog! (which i plan on buying once we finish our farmhouse)

ck it out here….
http:://jvwhome.blogspot.com

xo,
j

Holly May 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Oh my gosh I’m in love with the way your pictures turn out!! So pretty and thanks for all the tips! :) Hope you have a lovely day! xo Holly

Kimberly May 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm

You capture our beloved U.P. in such beauty! Farm-life comes alive with your photos! Thanks for your blog & inspiration…

Karen May 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Great advice, I love your photos. Photography is a challenge and a lot of fun, I’m still learning and it does take a lot of practice and trial and error.

Donna May 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Your photos are so charming! I love your chickens, so pretty. May I ask what camera you have (my husband lost our and I need to get a new one)?

Thanks!
Donna

Donna May 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Silly me! I see now that you have a Sony DSLR, is that right?

Heather May 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Yes, that is right Donna :) I’ve used a regular ole point and shoot too… I think the trick is start with what you have and wait until you ‘outgrow’ it invest in a better one…

Have fun!

Janie Fox May 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I love your pictures. You have a great eye!

Judy May 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Hi Heather: Thanks for sharing the tips. I can use a whole lot of help..Happy Mother’s Day..Judy

DebZorn May 9, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I love your blog and your photos. I take a ton of pictures – mostly my grandkids – which I love. I keep trying my hand at still-life photography but I need a LOT of practice. Your work is wonderful.

Becky May 10, 2012 at 1:37 am

Thank you for the great tips. The light one is a tough one for me. I so often seem to only have picture taking time in the evening. Maybe I need to get up earlier, except that won’t work in the winter. Hmmm, will have to work on this ;) .

Tania May 11, 2012 at 12:55 am

Great tips, thanks! I’ve got to practice! :)

Tania

tina May 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I just love your pictures. I am always in such a hurry when it comes to taking photos, plus I have essential tremors and sometimes the stabilization on cameras doesn’t work that well! But I really need to try and take photos from other angles besides standing!! Thanks for posting the tips.

Have a great day:o)