My Home – Part 3 – Inspiration

by postroad on June 1, 2012

Hello :) This is part 3 of my HOME series and this is ALL about the inspiration! (you can start at the beginning HERE).

Inspiration is EVERYWHERE! My problem is not finding it but rather getting distracted by my next great idea before I get around to finishing the first.

But it was not always this way. Though I’ve always been creative (my mom taught me to sew when I was 6) creativity in decorating is still a work in progress. And one that I am happy to say is never quite complete.

Oh, there are all the usual places to be inspired.. magazines, pinterest, Facebook, maybe even this lil Post Road blog? And while I LOVE these sources my absolute favorite way to come up with ideas for decorating and designs are by getting outside with pen and paper and solitude and just DREAMING. There is something real romantic and relaxing about finding that space in time to tuff out your own ‘lil vision or idea. It takes practice stretching that creative muscle but one that is well worth it.

I haven’t always been one to start with a vision or dream board but lemmee tell you… it REALLY works. I always do this when doing a full room redo or a new line for my shop. I want to really picture the actual feel for my dream. Give it a story and not just a face. What words will describe the feelings it evokes? Because everything in there will play a part in telling the story and giving her real heart and soul.

(one of the few items from my one-of-a-kind spring line that hasn’t sold yet.. find her here)

The goal when designing a room or line or new piece for the shop is to not only tell a story but also to cause beauty and function to COLLIDE. In my world of busy-ness and babies it takes REAL intention to carve out these spots in time to give my heart the freedom and space to dream, sketch, and just soak in the designing… this is really my favorite part of the process and one of the reasons I have dreams to also license my products or design for a bigger company with lots of soul.

So how do you also begin to find your own style? While I do adore soaking up juicy images in magazines and the likes I want to encourage you to just START by doing. Don’t worry about it being perfect. (bleaa.. perfect is so boring anyways). Just start rearranging your own lil corner and in doing so you will start learning what you love. Start with a vision of what you want to room to feel like… and you can slowly begin layering pieces in. Though I have nothing against the big box stores I personally think a home that has layers of vintage, handmade and unique is MUCH more appealing and welcoming.

Have fun!! I am currently in the dreaming phase in decorating my nursery. I know… working on baby #6 and still haven’t tackled this room! Well 6 seems as good as any number to start doesn’t it? ;) Here’s what I have to start with- real character and charm already but she needs some Post Road TLC. I will share with you my creative process in choosing and decorating this nursery starting next week.

Chances are you are a lot more creative then you already realize now. For whatever reason maybe you haven’t found the time, energy, etc.. (s’ok, I’ve been there). But NOW is as good of a time as any! Please like this post on Facebook (at beginning of post) if you know you have friends who would also love to bust out of their creative rut but don’t know where to start!

Thanks for visiting!! Have a great day!

Melinda June 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Your home is beautiful Heather!!~ And I can’t wait to see the nursery! I love the walls though, the stripes are fabulous!
Wishing you a lovely weekend.
Sincerely,
Melinda

karlin June 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Heather, that is so true about finding your own creativity and your own style. It can start as a dream or vision, or it may just present itself to you out of the wild blue.

I am an earth sign so I tend to love all things natural. To me Less Is More. I love wood, simple lines, textiles, vintage, basketry, and anything handmade. I can look deeper into a natural design and see that each piece tells a story of it’s own, whether it’s a handmade quilt or a hand woven basket. It’s simplicity speaks volumes and I know it was used, loved, and cherished by someone along the way.

Layering is a wonderful concept. You can take away or add to as the mood strikes, and believe me you will change your mind. How many times has that happened to me……….Too many to talk about here.

We all need to be brave and stick to our guns when it comes to realizing our dreams. Don’t ever give up!

refreshed June 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I love getting your emails! I want to redo my whole house every time I visit your blog! Congrats on baby 6 and getting the nursery done ;) love the stripes…love everything you do!
Debbie

Linda Stoll June 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

… yes!

lovely, gentle, sweet whispers of inspiration

Nancy June 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I can so relate to that “getting distracted by the next thing….”. I have soooo many unfinished projects because something else catches my eye in the middle of things. Right now I have 3 pieces of beautiful blue toile fabric that I am hesitating to cut because I have so many different things I want to do with it. Grrrr……..

Linda Knight June 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thank you for sharing your inspirations, Heather!

I’ve been in the same home for 12 years now (a record for me) and there is so much inspiration out there that, though I need a decor change, I’m frozen by idea overload! I think perhaps I will take your good advice and have long walk with Mother Nature. I’ll bet She can guide me into making a decision…

I love your fun blog – Blessings! Linda

Holly June 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Your home is just beautiful!!! There’s so much inspirations here! :) Hope you have a lovely weekend! xo Holly

Barbara steen June 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I really don’t know how u find the time! Your designs are so inspiring, and so are your words, good job pretty mama :)

victoria June 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

A great post… we all need to be reminded inspiration can and does come from many sources…the key is to act upon it!

Victoria

Karen June 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Keep doing what your doing!
It is a joy to read about – you are very creative!
You give a unique spin on decorating & country living-
Can’t wait to see the nursery!

ceekay June 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Oh Heather….another sweet baby….congrats….and I can’t wait to see the nursery…I am sure it will be wonderful!

Lynnie June 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Heather, love your room and the idea book. I need to do this, I have cut out so many pics that I love so only need to start pasting! Thanks for the inspriration.

Shannon June 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I just recently found your totally awesome blog. I would like to thank you for all the creative tips, lovely pictures, and the tidbits you share about your personal life. Every morning I sit down at the computer before work and read your blog. If there isn’t a new post I re-read the last one!

~Shannon

sue anderson June 2, 2012 at 4:24 pm

So so lovely!

♥♥♥
Sue

di@cottage-wishes June 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Fun, you look really good! I love dreaming and laying also, today I picked up a bunch of fabric at the Goodwill and can’t wait to start my projects! I am sure your nursery is going to be beautiful.

Di

Deb June 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Hi Heather
Such gorgeous photos!!
I can just imagine how fabulous your nursery will look ♥

Judy H. June 3, 2012 at 3:33 am

Your pictures are so beautiful and pleasing to the eye. Your home is darling and shows your inspiration just popping out the ends of your hair. I hope I catch it. I have been in a major inspiration funk. I can’t remember the last time I did anything creative…suddenly just empty.
So send me some of those creative germs of yours so I can catch what you have. Deal?

joanne nixon June 3, 2012 at 5:56 am

i love what you are doing. sometimes, i wish my brain wouldn’t come up with the next great idea while i am still working on the incompleted one, as well. my brain is so busy my hubs tells me that it is a scary place…lol.
looking forward to what you will create in the nursery…..your photos are wonderful….

Sarah June 4, 2012 at 1:43 am

Beautiful pictures! I can totally relate. I get so many ideas sometimes I feel like my brain is on overload and I hop from project to project! :-)

Kim Heller June 4, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Currently, my husband and I are working on creating a vacation spot in our backyard. I came up with a plan that I liked and my husband agreed. We had a drawing of our plan to guide us and then my husband brought home the supplies needed. He started the labor intensive part of removing sod to create a patio area. I was very busy with other things this weekend but Saturday evening he begged me to spend a couple hours working on the project with him on Sunday afternoon. I really, really didn’t feel like it but I forced myself to get out there and get dirty. He was laying brick following our plan when inspiration suddenly hit me and I tweaked the plan as we worked. We aren’t finished yet but already the patio is far better than our original plan. He said that is exactly why he wanted me out there. He knew I could tweak it and make it better but I didn’t know that until it happened. I can now visualize the finished patio and it is going to be exactly right for us and way we plan to use it. Don’t be afraid to change your plan mid-stream- it is always worth the extra effort!