Why we Grow our Food

by postroad on July 20, 2012

Good day to you! Hope this finds you well! This is a good ole Post Road farm update coming atchya!!

I have always been enamored with farm life. My mom grew up a farm gal and there was NOTHING more fun then visiting Grandpa and Grandma’s. The smell of fresh straw, fresh manure, fresh garden produce… and watching my Grandpa work… He is in his 80s and still has a MONSTROUS veggie and flower garden!

(my garden, about 1/50th the size of my Grandpa’s)

Laying in their hayloft I remember thinking that someday I will do this too. Something about the work, the smells, the tastes, the life, the memories is so intriguing to me.

There is something just so good and wholesome about it.

It is really a dream come true that I have been lucky enough to marry someone who tolerates (and willingly takes part!) in my farming dreams. Really he does almost all of the work with the animals while I do most of the garden and together we help with the canning and the butchering.

Butchering???!!! um, yes…. pretty much all of our animals are raised for food.

Right now we have 11 layers, 60 pullets (meat birds), and 3 pigs we are raising with the neighbors. It is a lot of work and sometimes I do think we’re nuts but I am crazy enough to have this old fashioned dream of instilling good ole hard work and simple country values into our kids.

Because we have such a big growing family it just makes sense to fill and freezer and our stomaches once we’re at it. I LOVE that they are learning to NOT take food for granted. That they aren’t so far removed from the miracle. That not eating what they’re fed is simply not an option. Yes, after putting that much love, time, sweat, man hours into it you gosh-darn BETTER eat it and not complain!! LOL

Our lil farm is such a small one. But it gives me SUCH an appreciation for all of those who bust it every day to feed us. And to all of those who’ve done it before…..

have a farming question?? I’m no expert but feel free to ask in the comments if you have one!

p.s. today is the LAST DAY I’m shipping till our little summer break. If you’ve been meaning to grab something today’s the day-Farmhouse Decor Here.

After that you will find me knee deep in pig *** and getting dirty in the garden :)

Kelly Van Howe July 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Heather I think it’s great what you are doing. I hope in about a year and a half from now when we retire early( in our 50′s) that we will find a house where I can have a garden and do canning. It’s never too late to start! Keep up the good work and spreading the news of growing your own food!
Thinking of you here.
Kelly
Zenful Goods

Heather July 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Of course it’s not too late!! Start small and keep it fun :)

Georgia July 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Heather, your comments are so appropriate, and you had no way of knowing, in light of this morning’s tragedy.

holly July 21, 2012 at 3:43 am

It was such fun to visit yours and Kate’s place. I am one of your newest followers.
Blessings,
Holly

Trisha July 23, 2012 at 8:09 pm

So…would it be alright if another crazy family with big farming dreams moved to the area? ; ) It’s official Heath!

Heather July 25, 2012 at 4:08 am

Yay!! Is all I have to say to that! I miss you crazy cousin!

Alexandrea July 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I think this post sums of what I want in life… or the ideal that I want. At the same time I feel like it would be too much for one person to do on their own. But owning a plot of land adjacent to neighbors who share the same values, possibly working the same land, would be just as rewording as doing it all myself. Also, a bit less work as I have no kids to help me. ;-)

Thank you for the great blog!
~Ax

teresa July 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Nice post! Brought back fun memories of the farm!TMJ

elma July 28, 2012 at 1:13 am

Hi there, loved this post. Question we have five hens and one rooster. They are about 4 months now and our rooster hank is very mean to the hens. What do we do? Also is it true we can not add anymore hens as the other hens will not do well??

Sam M. | Atkinson Drive August 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I think the way you have chosen to live and to raise your family is so beautiful! Personally, I don’t think I could handle the butchering, but we do have a tiny garden in our small piece of the city and I love it. The husband’s grandfather just passed down all of their canning stuff so I can hopefully get started with that soon. It’s so wonderful to know what your family is eating and for kids to understand that food shouldn’t be taken for granted. :-)

Delcie January 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I heard an article on the radio yesterday that children that grow up with farm animals are more likely to have a strong immune system and less likely to have allergies, Enjoy the adventure!