Finding my Pace and Sewing Apples

by postroad on October 6, 2012

Hi! How was your week? We are really working on finding our pace over here. Ever since baby six was born my head has felt like it’s going to explode with SO many creative ideas. So while the ideas are in abundance.. time is not. Though my darlen’ baby IS by my side and that is what TRULY matters!

I think perhaps all the ideas are coming from sitting so still (bow-bowing baby). I frantically scribble in my idea book and long for some handwork to keep my twitching hands busy.

I think I might have found it! Sewing apples!!

This is a fun and simple project. I love decorating with natural elements! If they are handmade, antique, or vintage then that is even better!

I dried the apples that we picked from the woods last weekend. They are tiny but yummy and organic! The ones left over I will save for winter to add to our granola.The hydrangeas were dried from the garden. They are puny which makes ‘em perfect for this! Love their sparseness and laciness and how the light shines through!

(our farmhouse kitchen)

(stone coasters.. if you want to learn how to make these you can find the tutorial in either the full digital or print version of the fall Homebound Magazine)

(so much to love about fall)

And my attempt at being healthy….. crust free and sugar free pumpkin pie. I’ll confess it tasted a bit squashish but darn good none-the-less. This is NOT the time of year to try to lose the spare tire(s) left over from baby-birthen’ (but then again… probably no time is!!) And to top it off my sister Loretta has started a FOOD BLOG – A Finn in the Kitchen. She is an awesome cook and baker!! You should check it out!

And when you’re done with that, go find some apples to sew. ;)

(picking apples with a couple of my sisters)

Here’s what was hanging in my window. (you can find the tutorial here)….. I am really trying to practice ‘out with the old in with the new’… so I will be giving this handmade garland away to the very next person to purchase the $2 digital download of the Fall ¬†Homebound Magazine!

Ready, Set, GO!

Gail October 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

Sew apples- original & adorable idea

Patty Page October 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

Your family is beautiful, Heather, as is your house. Thanks for the creative inspiration!

Marianne October 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Lovely apple garland Heather, you are such a busy creative lady. Gorgeous pics as always.

Loretta October 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Thanks for the shout-out! And I love that picture of the kids!

Roberta October 6, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Dunno how you do it! Your home is lovely and the children…beautiful! xo oh, love the dried apples idea too Heather:)

victoria October 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

What a lovely post…and such a pretty and homey home you have… thank you for sharing!

Victoria/FeminineChicBoutique.com

JP October 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Such creativity, a beautiful home and gorgeous family, too!

Denise October 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

What a beautiful family! and so luck to be growing up to appreciate the simple beauty that is all around. Heather you are truly gifted.

Debbie October 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful and I love your apple garland! I especially love how it ties in so well with the rest of the decor.
Debbie :)

Sandra Lee October 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Really a sweet garland and love your little farmhouse kitchen :) )
Happy weekend!

Elaine C. October 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Sweet family Heather and garland idea! I have hydrangeas also but they havent turned brown & spiderwebby yet like yours. I always thought they looked like lace too… Enjoy the fruit of your “labor” with your new little one. Be blessed. E

Miranda October 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I love this Heather! Beautiful inspiration. Your children are so gorgeous, I love that photo. ‚ô•

dita October 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

That first picture is really inviting! So inspirational!

Cheryl in Wisconsin October 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Your hydrangeas & apples in the window are adorable. I love that type of look.

Paula October 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Heather,
Lovely family, enjoy special moments together! The dried apple garland is sweet, how do you dry apples? Also, the pumpkin pie looks yummy ! Love love, pumpkin this time of year!
Take Care
Paula

Diana Amoroso October 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Heather your family and house is beautiful and love your creativity and decorations!!! Would you be kind enough to post how to dry the apples as I just also took my kids apple picking, albeit not in our backyard (lol) and we have over 40 apples and would love to do some apple sewing!! And forgive me if you did post it but I was not able to find it! :-)

Sandy October 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

What a lovely post Heather, I so lovingly enjoyed it.
Beautiful photo of the kids too. So Blessed.

Hugs,

Sandy

April October 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Awwww, I just love the idea! Very sweet photos:)

cheryl October 10, 2012 at 1:28 am

Such a lovely blog post…this is my second time visiting this particular page..your photo’s are gorgeous…
I need to make that sugarless, crustless pie…yummy.
I have a question that I’m hoping you wouldn’t mind answering for me…I have started a blog…not very sophisticated yet but working on it…I noticed though that your page loaded really fast…photo’s and all and mine seems to take forever…can you give me a an indication as to what I might be doing wrong…I edit in photoshop elements…no hurry on this…I totally know how busy you are…I sent your blog over to my daughter. She has a 2 1/2 year old and a brand new preemie…so please take your time.
Cheryl

elma October 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Love you farm kitchen!! Love the pictureof the kids and your sisters. How amazing that you come from a large family and you can spend time with them:) I just loveit all!! You are sooo Blessed!!!