Farming Lessons

by postroad on January 26, 2013

At what point do you consider your home place to be a farm? This question cracks me up because I was always more then anxious to live on a farm while the hubby on the other hand, let’s just say that it has taken some convincing! I think he’s still in denial that we have a farm, though I was over antsy to get here…….. take my worm growing, garden fertilizer experiment a couple of summers ago. Yup, I was ready to consider that laundry tub in my entry way, means close enough to say we live on a farm. Well, the hubby won that one! He told me worms or him. Oh well, you win some you lose some! :)

Besides, I have found there are a LOT of fun things to grow other then worms. (They just keep reproducing naturally anyways.) There is the garden, pigs, chickens, oh and babies. Those are fun too.

I shared some of why we grow our own food HERE. But there is another side of it that I am just recognizing and REALLY beginning to appreciate!!

It is the reminders that country life brings us to SLOW DOWN. It is extremely hard NOT to practice patience when sowing seeds of which you won’t see rewards for several months. Or to raise and feed baby chicks knowing that you won’t fry a single egg for 5 or 6 months. It is also a practice of TRUST that what you are planting is the right thing and with the hand of God it will grow and flourish. I am needing these lessons translated into my business right now. I am scared and worried that changing direction and starting ‘a-new’ isn’t the right thing to do. Then I see what dreaming, hard work, trust, and prayer can do. I see it in the animals we raise, the garden, and kiddos too. Now it is time to plant those seeds for my business too.

I am ready. Are you?

Check out those snow banks! From the plow, but still. The garden and apple tree are just about buried! Pure fun!!!

p.s. I am still working on the stool tutorial and will share it here ASAP!

p.p.s. LAST WEEK TO SHOP PRV!! There are only a couple style of soap dispensers left.. check what’s still available here.

Eileen January 26, 2013 at 12:48 am

Nice post. I used to live on a farm and now buy organic from a farmer. Nothing better.

Deborah Carlson January 26, 2013 at 12:58 am

Oh Heather what a beautiful sight this is on your farm!
Good for you….I’ve always wanted to live on a farm, especially in my years bringing up my kids….and even now would be wonderful!
Love these photos and your love of life and family!
Blessings!

All my heart,
Deborah xo

Arleen January 26, 2013 at 1:00 am

Love your blog! You are so talented and fun. look forward to your blog. Keep on keeping on!
Arleen

Di January 26, 2013 at 1:07 am

Wow, that snow looks so beautiful. Your little girl is so sweet, I know you will treasure all this time. Di

Kathy January 26, 2013 at 1:13 am

I admire what you are doing and the way you are raising your kids. I’m not sure if I would have had the courage to do that when I was younger.

Sandi January 26, 2013 at 1:31 am

I love your blog and these snow pictures are beautiful. I think you have chosen a wonderful way of life!

Tammy Racine January 26, 2013 at 1:45 am

Nice to know about your adventures on your farm. I too, grew up on a farm & absolutely loved it. I actually miss country living. Since the age of 18 I’ve been living in a small city but, somehow long for the country. Probably why my decorating style reflects country. Thanks again Heather for inspiring us.

Kris Pare January 26, 2013 at 1:50 am

Heather, first I love getting the email that a new post is up. Your photos just bring me joy and a glimpse of pure country life. I grew up a in tiny farming town way up North in NY–mainly dairy. Dad moved us to the ‘city’ when I was 11 and then South during as I moved into college. Now that He blessed me with one little one at an advanced age (according to the docs), I so yearn for the simple country life. Lately I have been purging, simplifying the best I can in this crazy paced world we have. My Aunt (who is 83 and still lives in that little town) said eating simple is the way NeeNee and Pa taught us–live off the land as we are suppose too. As I tweak the way of eating, I am starting feel better internally I delve (or dip slowly) into the outer parts now-home, little one, my paths and the creative spirit and where am I going. Not so easy this path but He has spoken and I’m listening that I must connect with others. Push those worries, breath in the cold crisp air, and clear the mind–your path and direction is speaking to you and your family. I will be here reading as you thrive in your new venture. Thank you again for all you share and your beautiful spirit. Hugs, Kris

Bevy January 26, 2013 at 2:08 am

I ALWAYS love your photos… always.

~Bevy

Emilou January 26, 2013 at 2:28 am

Heather, you always have such a positive attitude that comes through in your writing. Whatever you do with God will be wonderful. Love these pics of your little girl and when I see her smily face, pure joy. Thanks for sharing.

Beverly January 26, 2013 at 2:52 am

Heather,
Lovely pictures of snow. After moving south, I must admit that I don’t miss it, but it does look beautiful. Sometimes it is difficult to know if we are making the right choice, but if you have prayed about it and feel that God is guiding you in the right direction, you will be fine. Change can be good and I think you will do great
Bev

Betsy January 26, 2013 at 3:31 am

Dear Heather,
Trust your own instincts and God’s guiding that you are making the right choices. I was raised on a family dairy farm in the Pacific Northwest. It was a hard but wonderful way to grow up. My husband and I raised our 3 boys on a “hobby farm” in the country with lots of animals. It was mainly a wonderful way of life. We were frugal and grew almost all our own food. Hard work but so worth it. We learned to be self-sufficient. The time you are spending with your children, raising them yourself, is priceless. Carry on my dear, you are blessed and a blessing to many.
Betsy

Kathleen Vincent January 26, 2013 at 3:43 am

Heather,
I’ve had a long career as an educator here in the Pacific Northwest. I’ve done everything from teaching 2nd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade to junior high grades, have served as a Library Media Specialist and have gone back to school to seek additional credentials and increase my abilities to further serve students in this area. At age 55 I just finished my doctorate. I have never known where I would land after I took “the next step”–I just knew I needed to take that next step. I have finally learned to be comfortable with the unknown and know that while I may not have everything I think I “want” I have everything I need. I am happy and look forward to helping other educators learn more about helping our students become learners…after all, it doesn’t happen only in classrooms, and we’re not finished just because we’ve graduated!! Keep taking that next step…

joanne nixon January 26, 2013 at 4:35 am

hi heather….the snow looks beautiful! i miss it sometimes. living in arizona for the past 35 years, with summer temps in the 100s for several months without relief, kind of does that to me…i lived on a farm for several years and honestly, i miss the simplicity of it. i miss small towns and big water. i was born and raised in michigan … lived there for 32 years before i moved out here. now, we are looking to move elsewhere. i love your blog…it is always beautiful and your email notices have that special touch (my name) which is so sweet and alluring. keep going, heather. God works in quiet ways……

Kaya January 26, 2013 at 8:04 am

What a nice winter. :)

Nellie January 26, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Morning Heather,
Love these photos, especially the ones with your lil girl, adorable.. Yes, it is so true, that we
need to live at a slower pace especially if we want to hear from the Lord, cause kaos and
frantic activity sure drown out His voice, for sure. May the Lord lead you and guide you in
the direction you should go……………………
Blessings Hon,
Nellie

Sherry Duke January 26, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I look forward to your emails. What a wonderful way to live. Many blessings to you and your family. XO Sherry

Sue January 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I grew up on a ranch in Montana, I loved it and at 63 I look back with fond memories of hard work and great joy. When our kiddos were little we built a log house in the mountains of Mt. Each day we left our hectic jobs and came home to breath and re-charge. You are so blessed and the memories you are giving your children are priceless, embrace them. I will continue to follow you and dream of times gone by.

Heather @ Beyond the Aisle January 26, 2013 at 10:42 pm

My childhood home wasn’t technically a farm but we liked to call it one – we had a vegetable garden and tried to be as independent as we could. I loved growing up that way.

Cindy January 27, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I’ve tried raising worms before. Killed them all in rather short time. You wouldn’t think it would be so difficult. Then my Dad gave me the ones I bought for him for Father’s Day and killed those too. Now, I’m normally pretty good about keeping things alive, but not worms.
Love your blog and always enjoy seeing your gorgeous pics and wise words.
Cindy

Teresa Johnson January 28, 2013 at 3:06 am

The worm farms were a hoot! Especially geo ‘ s who donated his to me but forgot to tell me till I discovered a smelling heap in a rubbermaid tub in the basement!

Kim D. January 29, 2013 at 1:25 am

Farm Livin’ is THE place to be!!! Especially when your children are young & you can be a stay at home Mom!!! This time is priceless…given as a gift to you from our Lord!!! Embrace this time with gusto, girl! Enjoy every sweet, frantic moment & keep sharing whenever you can. I look forward to your emails and I think you are truly amazing!

Sylvi Hammerstrom January 29, 2013 at 2:15 am

Heather,
Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! That talent is worth a lot, so if new adventures don’t feel right, you could make a business out of your photography.
We are going to your neck of the woods in middle of next month;- my hubby wants snow…..
-Sylvi

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen January 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

One question: Can I crop share on your farm?

Also, those pics are absolutely gorgeous!

Lynn Richards January 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I don’t have a farm, and I don’t live in snow, but your words of patience and trust and prayer resonate with me!
As far as my artwork goes, I am learning to plan, wait to adjust my course and trust that God will be the one to give it wings!!!
xo
lynn

LLD Designs January 31, 2013 at 3:53 am

So much of what you wrote is resonating with me tonight. We just moved from a big ol’ city to a small farm in Franklin. I’ve often wondered what really makes it a farm. Just because I say so? We just got baby chicks, so it feels more “official” now. :) Love what you said about patience and trusting God. Good stuff! I need more of that!