The Wind is a Changen'

by postroad on January 3, 2013

Top of the YEAR to you!! How are you? I missed being here but it was SO nice to take a little break……. to take the time to do fun things with the family and breathe deeply into the true meaning of the season! Plus I have something MAJOR to share with you!

Christmas was magical as always. But it was life changing too. Phew, that sounds like such an exaggeration but it really was beyond awesome……

Now on to the news, right?? Ok, this is a bittersweet post to share. I’m not sure where to start. My breathing is speeding up as I speak type. My vacation had a MAJOR influence on this decision of mine…….. I don’t know where to begin or how to write exactly what is on my heart but I will give it a whirl anyways………….

Four years ago when I opened up my Etsy shop it changed my life. And only for the better. I am an energetic creative being who needs an outlet and place to direct this spirit on a daily basis. Yes, I have learned that the key to my own true happiness is to create something every.single.day.

So much and so little has changed since then. Add on a few more kids, a big garden, and a bunch of animals. Add on about a zillion more ideas (sometimes it feels like, daily.) Throw in a very large dose of heartache. These changes are nothing but blessings. They are all good and awesome and beautiful and I can’t imagine these past few years being anything different. Heartache, joy, sorrow, pain, creativity………. I can not and will not separate or compartmentalize my life because to do so would bring me to a place other then where I am right now and there is NO other place I’d rather be.

Ok, out with it you’re thinking! Yes, I am winding down on the product side of my business………. this means the month of January is the last month that I will be selling soap dispensers and other mason jar items!!! I still can’t believe I’m writing this but it is essential to my 2013 dream. I am planning to keep selling soaps (loving the good smells around here so those are staying…. for now anyways!)

When does that moment occur to you that you realize you can’t do it ALL? As bad as you want to and as appealing as it sounds it simply is not possible………. I have loved LOVED selling my handmade goodies in my shop but I am realizing that it isn’t the path forward for me in living (what I believe) I was put on this earth to do-

Which is to be the BEST wife and mom possible and to inspire you to live a beautiful and creative life…to bless your home, family, and indeed your own heart with your beauty and creativity. In a world of 24/7 news cycles, horrible tragedies, and doom and gloom at every corner……. I really do believe this message is more important then EVER!

So what do you think? Are you willing to help me spread that message this year? Are you ready to turn the volume down and pay closer attention to the things that are MOST important? Are you ready to try and learn something new? Are you ready to say goodbye to the pessimist? The cynist? The negativity? Are you ready to join with me in spreading optimism? My sights aren’t set on perfection. My sights are set on learning and trying and failing a zillion times this year. My sights are set on being the best role model possible….. not just talking about it but actually WALKING with it.

How I plan to share this message……. through my Homebound Magazine. (Which I am now selling limited copies in print directly from my shop!!) Also, of course here on the blog. And there are other major projects brewing that I can’t wait to share with you!!

I have never been this un-comfy yet liberated at the same time!! Thank you so so much for your nonstop support and encouragement! Because of you 2013 is going to be beautiful!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

xoHeather (and family)

less then 30 days left to get your PRV soap dispenser and other fresh farmhouse!

p.s. Congrats Debra for winning the full year Subscription to Homebound! and to Pam for winning a copy of Creating Vintage Charm!

Linda January 3, 2013 at 3:05 am

Bless you and yours, Heather.
Happy New Year to you all and the best of success in your chosen endeavours.
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

victoria silva January 3, 2013 at 3:06 am

You are listening to your heart and your own voice…and this is inspiring… congrats!
Victoria at FeminineChicBoutique

Lori January 3, 2013 at 3:14 am

Heather girl I totally get exactly what you are saying!! I am excited to see where 2013 takes you and your precious family!!

Hugs,
Lori

Victoria January 3, 2013 at 3:16 am

It’s going to be a wonderful, inspiring year, Heather! When your heart speaks, you must listen. So, I’m really proud of you! ♡ Wishing you and your beautiful family a year filled with small moments that make your heart sing! It will be fun to watch the new direction you take in 2013. Wishing you only the best… Warm hugs!

Carol January 3, 2013 at 3:25 am

Good for you Heather. You are listening to your heart. God has spoken to me too. He has said L.E.S.S…..Love, Encourage, Serve & Support I’m looking forward to following you in 2013.

Carol

Laurie January 3, 2013 at 3:45 am

God created you to be Heather, and He put into your heart the desire to be a wonderful child of His, and a godly wife and mother. I think it is wonderful when you have the courage to be what you were meant to be, not to feel that you must live up to anyone else’s expectations. It sounds as if you have opened the windows of your heart and are turning “the volume down and pay closer attention to the things that are MOST important.” You have such a creative soul, and I just know you will use it in the best way you can for you and your family. Many blessings to you and your family this new year!

Sandra Lee January 3, 2013 at 5:15 am

I wish for you the most wonderful BLESSED 2013!!! I so enjoy your magazine and your creative soul :) )

Leena Lanteigne January 3, 2013 at 8:01 am

Happy New Year, Heather! I’m not sure what you have planned for 2013, but it sounds wonderful! Following your heart adn soul in a new venture and/or adventure is so liberating! I can’t wait to hear what you have in mind! I always enjoy everything that you do and write so I know that this will be spectacular! Love the family pictures – sounds like a great vacation! All the best to you and your family in the new year! Hugs, Leena

Patricia Reed January 3, 2013 at 8:06 am

Happy New Year!! I will enjoy reading and following your journey this year. Your children and husband lives will be enriched by you, being able to spend more quality time with them. The children are only this young for a short time. My children are early twentys , three out of four are in the military. With the forth going in with in the next year. So Enjoy this time you have. God Bless you in your new endeavors in 2013!!
Patti

Debra January 3, 2013 at 9:59 am

I had no idea I had won this until now and I’m so excited !! I truly connect and enjoy your magazine and can’t wait to read more and try your awesome ideas ! Thanks so much Heather and with how much I enjoy reading it your heart need not be heavy as you are following your calling and inspiring us all ! May you and yours have a blessed 2013 !

~Debra~

Deb January 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Happy New Year Heather!

Karen January 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hi Heather,

You have been and still are a great inspiration to me. I am proud of you for going after your dreams! You realize what is important in your life. You are reaching your goals and spreading your joy and happiness around to all. I’ve had a rough start to the New Year and I feel a little lost in my journey, but I know with God’s gudiance and love I will find my way home!

Love, Hugs & Blessings,
Karen

tracey January 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Wishing you blessings and joy in your new direction this year!!! I love your magazine and know that you will continue to make it amazing!! Happy New Year Heather ~

xo
:) T

Debbi in the Thumb January 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Heather:
Wow…can you read minds!!
As I have been following you for a year or so now I have often thought ‘how does she do all this stuff’!! It seems like many of us have finally hit the bottom of our wicks and have nothing let to burn. Best wishes on your future endeavors and to your family.
Debbi

Kim Heller January 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Heather,
I wish you and your family the best for the New Year. I think you are spot on with your idea of spreading encouragement in the daily world of constant negative news.

As I was writing this, I just got a call from my husband letting me know his mother fell this morning and broke her hip. She is in her early eighties and lives about 4 hours from us. We are also expecting our first grandbaby in less than a week. Our daughter will have to deliver by c-section due to medical complications but fortunately she lives near us.

It looks like this year will be a year of caring for our family members. My husband will care for his elderly parents while I am busy caring for the new mother and baby.

To me this is what is truly important in life-being there for your loved ones. Family is by far, our greatest treasure. I am so happy to know you feel the same about your family. You have been so blessed with your children and I am happy you view them as your priority.

I look forward to a year of encouraging each other.

Kim

deb January 3, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Wishing you only the best on your new path!. I am hoping 2013 is a much better year than the last 2. ….that it brings me a divorce so I can close this chapter FOR GOOD! Keep warm

Anne H January 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Happy New Year! I bet you’re feeling as free as a bird right now with the decisions you’ve made. The day will be here faster than you think when you can put more of your time and energy into a product line. In the meantime, do only what you love best and enjoy those babies.

I wanted to tell you that I LOVE, LOVE your soap and am glad to see that you will continue with that for now. One of my daughter’s gave me a couple bars of your soap in her Christmas package. I have to say, I was a little skeptical at first because they smell so wonderful! My first thought was “strong smell, strong chemicals?” but no! After reading the ingredients I was ready to try them. That wonderful “sauna” smell puts a smile on my face whether the sauna is hot or not! And they lather up so nicely! I’ve only used the soap for a week but I have not had to lather myself with lotion like I usually do this time of year. I definitely will be ordering more.

carol ann January 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Talk about a motivating blog post! I’ve been wanting one of your soap dispensers forever, so I got off my butt and placed my order before they are history! Good luck with everything!

Marianne January 3, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Wishing you a very Happy New Year Heather ~ it will no doubt be an exciting one for you and Yes I do believe in sharing the simplicity of life, its rusticity, and all the treasures that you can discover everyday at your doorstep…to open your eyes and your mind to all the possibilities. Can’t wait to order your magazine Heather!
All the best from Australia.
Marianne

Kristine January 3, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Heather:
Just the most beautiful sentiments and speaking from your soul/spirit. You are an inspiration for sure. Yes, 2013 is for YOU and your beautiful precious family;you had an epiphany and God surely was speaking to your heart/soul. Yes all good things will come to you and your family this year-JOYFULNESS AND CONTENTMENT is most important and you have discovered it for sure! 2013 is going to be a year I feel the world will be a much kinder place if we all keep paying it forward and practicing those random acts of kindness which you are a master of. God Bless you and yours -And thank you for your most beautiful and uplifting blog and narratives.
ox
Kristine (joie de vivre)

Diane January 4, 2013 at 1:29 am

Heather, how to say what reading your message calls forth for me? Wonder? Anticipation? When you write it is as though you have drawn us all in to sit by your fire and experience the shelter of each other. Seriously girlfriend, you have many gifts and one is expressing yourself on paper…whether the written word or the pictures of your work …or the images that just hearing your ruminations evoke…you speak directly to me EVERYTIME!! I feel as though we are old friends, though we are years and miles apart. You express what we often cannot bring ourselves to notice…or to say. You have created something beautiful with your life and isn’t that all we each want? I am so excited for wherever the coming year takes you…all on your journey toward wholehearted living! I know it will be perfectly your own! I offer you blessings for the journey :-) !!! Keep on discovering and sharing!

Annaliise January 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Over the one of the kiddos in the back of the four wheeler. And you guys waiting for the horse rides:)

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen January 5, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve next, Heath! I’m always blown away by the stuff you’re able to get done in a day. Makes us normal folk feel tired! Anyways, have a great weekend and I’ll talk to you on Monday.

Sue January 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Heather,

I don’t know if you remember, but I commented that your kids brought your pictures TO LIFE! I think stepping back and actually living our lives is a good thing in this world. I completely understand about all of a sudden realizing the best thing is right under your nose and that creativity and family and love can all blend harmoniously.

I am hoping that this is just the start of a new trend. Bloggers may not like to hear this, but I think we all need less time online.

Happy New Year!

Sue

~ Jennifer J. January 20, 2013 at 9:02 pm

This post and your thoughts really resonate with me. I’ve shifted my goals and dreams this year, too, and am focusing on my blog and alternately my Etsy shop as well. As a fellow creative spirit, I’ve missed blogging and working on my shop. And I’m starting to realize that I really need to create something every day. Or maybe not so much ‘just realizing it’ as I’m realizing how little I’ve focused on that lately and I need to be. I’m excited for you! I know what a good feeling it is to be aware of what you need (and your family needs) and what it’s like to start working toward that goal!

Audrey Zumwalt January 27, 2013 at 12:18 am

Hi Heather, wishing you the best in 2013 … I know you will follow your heart and do what makes you and your family happy. I so enjoy you blog and you are very inspiring to me.
Hugs,