Stool Build – Part 1

by postroad on January 19, 2013

Good Morning! How’ve you been? This week was a flurry…… literally! Winter is BACK!! It is awesome to be snowed in with more kiddos and projects then I can handle! (Was I supposed to admit that?? OOPS) It is really really hard to get too much of a good thing though and for that I am MOST thankful!

In the bustle of this busy January month…. (mostly very busy shipping out soap dispensers! Thank you! We are very close to being sold out which is awesome as I’ll be done selling most of the goodies in my shop soon!) So yes, amongst that I decided to hold a little class out of my home. WHAT was that about slowing down? Maybe this is just the storm before the calm? Actually, I do feel a deep sense of calm just in KNOWING that I am making the right decision for my family and I.

Here is what we’ve been building in ‘class’. I am so thankful and proud for each of these women! They are turning out awesome! I am also proud of myself….. for not making excuses. As this is something I’ve been wanting to do for a LONG time…… even though these ladies get to see my laundry piles and all….. yup, PRV in real life! Being a teacher is something I thought I wanted to be when I was little…… well I only lasted a year in college (True life story, Mr. PRV swept me off of my feet and I will be very non-20th century and give him credit for my drop-out skills!!)

Anyways, maybe this is the kind of teaching that is meant to be for me? Who knows, but I will find out as I learn and explore and fail and succeed (hopefully some of the time), and have a blast through it all!

I’ve been sharing pictures in progress on Facebook. Many of you have asked if I’m going to be sharing the tutorial online and you know what I’d like to say to that?

“caaaaan we build it?” “YES WE CAN!!”

In fact I am going to share step one in video with you today! I will be making the full tutorial available but I wanted to give you this one just in case you want to get started! This tutorial is going to be a freebie courtesy of me. I have tons more ideas and designs and tutorials up my sleeves and in my head. I am so excited to share the inspiration with you! But I am also looking for your feedback……… what types of projects would you MOST appreciate seen? How do you like to follow along… visually? Through video or on paper? Tutorials online?? I would love to do a mixture of free tutorials but am planning to offer some in my shop for purchase too.

let’s roll now shall we?

sign up below to receive the full tutorial when it is finished! (If you are already signed up for my weekly emails and Homebound Magazine you don’t need to…. you will already get it!)

* indicates required

Email Format

Thank you so very much!!

p.s. I am offering a special on all blog and Homebound Magazine sponsors for the remainder of this month! If you are interested in the details please sign up HERE and I will get back to you ASAP! Limited space is available!

Karen January 19, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Hi Heather. I was so excited to see today, that you are going to be doing tutorials. I only wish that I lived close to you so I could come to your beautiful home and share “in person”. (I live in Texas!)
I wanted to comment about one little thing as I know you welcome out input, since it is a new venture for you. I am hoping the music is temporary until the full video tutorial comes out. It was very distracting, and I would much rather have been able to hear your voice, along with little tips you have to offer as you go along. throughout your project. So I was just curious on that. Can’t wait to see the full video and try my hand at such a great little project!! Thanks!

Annie Guthrie January 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm

What a great project, Heather. Can’t wait to see the entire video and to try making one myself (with your expert help, of course!!)

I, too, could do without the background music, but the overall presentation was terrific.

Thanks.

lory January 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Hi! i live in Italy. I love you!!!
I prefer, if possible, tutorial on paper but your video is very very cute…I can see your snow ;) ….Thanks and kisses from Italy

Cyndi January 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Hi Heather!

I never realized you can cover plain jane tile with fabric or paper! What a great idea! I like having tutorials both in written and video form. Like the commentators above, I’d like to hear your directions with out the music. And we know you’re a work at home mom, so the kids in the background is only to be expected (and cute!). I think that’s why I like you so much; you keep it real. I’d love to see how you’ve made the coat racks that are in your store. Also, the soap! I’ve become inspired to make some myself, but am kind of confused with all the different fats, colorants, supplies needed, etc. Do you have a book or site that you can recommend? If you’ve made your own molds, how about a tutorial on making one? Have a great weekend!

joyce January 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm

ohmygosh Heather! can I just say….YOUARETHEBEST!!!! <3

Kathy January 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Very cool!

Marianne January 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm

What a great idea…oh my gosh you are just so talented Heather
all the best for this new venture
I thought the video clip was just so cute
Love from Australia x

Vickie January 20, 2013 at 1:03 am

Hi Heather

Love your blog and enjoy your tutorials. I loved the crate one, if you want to do more like that for little things. Maybe some things with wire if you know any like that like wire cloches etc.. I would like the tutorials via video. I am a visual person and following instructions on paper is a good way to make sure I never get around to doing the job! I wouldn’t mind a tutorial on the Miss Mustard Seed chalk paint, step by step and how to get it distressed. I also like little things you can make for around the house. Love the stools and the covered tiles is just brilliant, had never thought of doing that before.

~ Jennifer J. January 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm

This is such a cute idea, Heather! I have never thought to cover tiles with fabric before – and these are so pretty and would have endless possibilities. How fun to do classes at your house! (:

Kim D. January 21, 2013 at 1:56 am

LOVE THIS!!! And, I am local so please, if you run any more classes, email me the schedule, price, directions, & I will try to attend!!! Thanks for all your inspiration! Also, I would be very interested in flower arranging classes, seasonal craft classes, baking Finnish traditional foods and any class that would run around a farm theme! Thanks!

Ruthann January 23, 2013 at 3:06 am

Hey Heather -
I wish I could be there and go to one of your classes! Maybe you should have a weekend retreat… :)

Ellen January 29, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing…can’t wait ’til you show the rest. Also, I appreciate mentioning the product used to finish off the tiles…Too cute tables.

Audrey Zumwalt March 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Great idea Heather. You are so very talented. Appreciate you doing the videos … don’t know how your have time with dealing with winter weather and the kiddos. Love your lovely assistant. Take care … keep creating.
Hugs,